Hiring a motorhome in Devon
Devon Campers, Motorhomes and RV's
Welcome to our page about motorhome hire and rentals in Devon - www.comparecampervanhire.uk is the place to go for UK motorhomes. We help you to compare from thousands of motorhome providers across the country, ensuring that you get the best possible deals and best vehicles, which ultimately makes your RV holiday cheaper and more enjoyable! To search for motorhomes in Devon, or across the rest of the UK, simply enter the location in the search box above, as well as some details about you and the dates you want to hire the vehicle for, and let our sophisticated searching software do the rest! Note that you can also book your vehicle through our site, so no more emailing or calling provers to book. We are the one stop shop for Devon motorhomes.
Devon is a wonderful place to visit as part of any trip within the UK. This historic and beautiful county has a well developed tourist infrastructure, and with stunning beaches to both the north and the south is a brilliant location to visit if you fancy seeing some of the British coastline. Full of quant little fishing villages and rural scenery, Devon is perfect for the kind of motorhome holiday that involves really getting away from everything and enjoying nature at its best. And if you visit in summer, as most people do, you're likely to be treated to some of the best weather the UK has to offer, as Devon's southerly location ensures a steady supply of that most rare of British commodities, sunlight! What's more, Devon also contains the famous Dartmoor National Park, which offers great opportunities for devon campers to enjoy wild camping and various types of hikes.
The History of Devon
Devon is a historic region of the UK which has been occupied by humans for around 40,000 years. It's name is derived from the tribes of Britons who lived in the area at the time of Roman occupation, which is the Celtic term for “deep valley dwellers”. The area has traditionally depended on fishing, mining and faming as a way to sustain its economy, however with the decline of these traditional industries Devon has become one of the poorer and more deprived regions in the South West of the UK. Nevertheless, Devon is currently experiencing something of a renaissance, as the high quality of life, pleasant weather and beautiful scenery begin to draw people back in. The growth of occupations that are location independent, and specifically the growth of tourism, are leading to a gradual movement of industries back into the area. Devon is also doing well from new adventurous activities like camping, watersports, surfing and cycling. Overall, Devon has a higher than average proportion of elderly and retired people living in the county, as it is seen as a pleasant place to retire.
Things to Do
Here, in no particular order, we present a list of things to do in Devon, as part of your motorhome holiday. Note that this list is by no means exhaustive, however it simply reflects some of the most popular things to do in the county and those which appealed to the author. However, one of the best things about hiring a motorhome in Devon is the opportunity to explore Devon at your own pace – you are no longer tied to the schedules imposed by your accommodation or tour providers. With that our the way, let's begin the list:
- Relax – this should be pretty self explanatory. Devon is full of wild spaces, National Parks, charming little fishing villages and so on. It's easy to relax in Devon, as you adjust to a slower pace of life and simply take in the scenery and friendly people.
- Visit a Theme Park – Ok, this is perhaps better suited to all the families out there, but Devon has plenty of interesting theme parks for you and your children to explore. Places like the Miniature Pony Centre are sure to placate young children, and slightly older children will enjoy theme parks / adventure centres such as River Dart Adventures, where they can exhaust themselves exploring tree houses, zip wires, spiders webs and so on.
- Stop by in Plymouth – Plymouth is generally regarded as the cultural capital of Devon, and has plenty of theatre, music and art to keep you occupied. Moreover, the food and drink scene is Plymouth is worth checking out.
- Go to Exeter, the City of Contrasts – Exeter blends the traditional with the modern; full of historic buildings and evidence of Roman settlement (including the famous Roman wall which used to encircle the city, much of which is still remaining), Exeter also contains a vibrant high street and plenty of independent and boutique shops. What's more, because of Exeter's location, you are never far from any of the other attractions in the county; Exeter is an ideal base from which to explore the rest of Devon.
- Go to Dartmoor – this is the real reason you rented your motorhome. Dartmoor is a large and impressive National Park which is just begging to be explored on foot and by motorhome. The green and rugged beauty of this National Park inspired may great works of fiction and art, and with over 350 square miles to explore you're guaranteed not to get bored. There's also an abundance of sites where you can park your motorhome, and plenty of restaurants and bars to quench one's thirst and rest tired feet.
- Go to the beach – South Devon in particular has a justifiably famous coastline, and a holiday by the beach is a good way to get the most out of that Devon Motorhome hire. The impressive nature has inspired a large number of artists to make the region their home, so there is also lots of small galleries that are well worth checking out if you fancy taking home a picture of this beautiful part of the UK.
Hire a RV now!
We hope this short article has inspired you to rent a motorhome and take a holiday in Devon. Overall, the stunning scenery, beaches and National Parks of Devon make this county a superb place to visit in a rented vehicle. Begin your search now at www.comparecampervanhire.uk, the best site for Devon motorhomes!